The Office of the Provost offers limited travel support for graduate students seeking an academic degree (academic PhD or research-based Master’s) to support their career development.
The program provides Delta airlines flight vouchers earned by Tufts University through the utilization of a rewards program linked to preferred vendors. Flights will be available on Delta, KLM, Air France and Alitalia airlines and awards are subject to availability. As such, applications should be submitted as early as possible before a trip.
Possible scenarios in which the case can be made for support in furtherance of career development are:
- giving a talk at a conference
- participating in a national disciplinary meeting that is also a vehicle for the academic job market
- undertaking dissertation research at the destination
Applications are reviewed and approved on a rolling basis. Applications are less likely to succeed if there are practicable inexpensive alternatives to flying (for example, when the destination is New York City) or for routes with airline shuttle service available.
Applications can be obtained through the dean’s office of the student’s school. Completed applications should be sent to the Office of the Provost by the graduate dean of the student’s school or his/her designate (or the director of the pertinent university-wide center, if appropriate) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Included with the application should be:
- a letter of recommendation for funding from the student’s advisor, which makes clear how this trip supports the career development of the traveler
- an explanation of why air fare funding from the school or a grant is unavailable
- authorization for charging ancillary taxes, airline fees, and a $50 travel agency booking fee, to a deptID in the school (school or department budget or grant, if allowable), including any fees charged should the Office of the Provost recover miles for a trip not taken
- as much lead time prior to the proposed trip as possible
- the traveler’s (included on the application)
- Full Name
- Email address
- Itinerary (e.g. destination, dates, and any other preferences)
- Information on itinerary flexibility (such as “or one day before” or “or up to 2 days after”)
Applicants and their supporters will be notified of the result of their applications in as timely a manner as possible.
Approval of the award does not imply the availability of flights, which is as limited as when booking with personal frequent-flyer miles.
Within thirty days after return from the trip, the traveler is required to submit a brief report to the Office of the Provost and to their respective School’s contact. Any overdue or outstanding reports must be received by the provost’s office before any new applications from that School will be considered.
General questions about the Graduate Travel Support Program can be addressed to email@example.com.