Policy on Earned Sick Time for Faculty Previously Ineligible for Paid Sick Time
This policy establishes guidelines for the accrual and use of earned sick time by faculty who were previously ineligible to receive paid sick time. This policy is designed to provide such faculty with an opportunity to use up to 40 hours of paid sick time per benefit year (July 1 through June 30). This policy also delineates the appropriate use of sick time and outlines how to request time off.
This policy applies to all faculty whose primary work location for Tufts University is in Massachusetts and who were previously ineligible to receive paid sick time from the University.
Accrual of Sick Time
All faculty subject to this policy shall be eligible to use paid sick time. Sick time for faculty will be provided in a lump sum amount of 40 hours on July 1, which may be used throughout the fiscal year.
Use of Sick Time
Faculty may not use more than 40 hours of earned sick time per fiscal year. Earned sick time is available for use on July 1.
Sick time is provided to allow faculty to:
- care for a child, parent, spouse, or parent of a spouse who is suffering from a physical or mental illness, injury, or other medical condition that requires home, preventative or professional care;
- care for the individual’s own physical or mental illness, injury, or other medical condition that requires home, preventative or professional care;
- attend routine medical and dental appointments for themselves or for their child, parent, spouse, or parent of a spouse (provided that faculty make every reasonable effort to schedule such appointments during non-classroom hours);
- address the psychological, physical, or legal effects of domestic violence; and
- travel to and from an appointment, a pharmacy or other location related to the purpose for which the time was taken (provided that faculty make every reasonable effort to schedule such travel during non-classroom hours).
Earned sick time may be used for full or partial day absences. If an absence requires the University to cover the faculty member’s class schedule, the University may require the faculty member to be absent during the entire class period. For example, if a faculty member needs to be absent for the first two hours of a three-hour seminar, the University may require that faculty member to take up to three hours of earned sick time.
Absence Notification, Attendance Expectations and Verification of Use of Sick Time
If a faculty member determines that he or she needs to be absent or to reschedule a class, the faculty member should follow the standard procedures in place for his or her department, program or school. In most instances, these procedures allow for informal coverage of classes, make-up sessions and other reasonable professional courtesies extended to faculty who determine that they need to be absent during scheduled classroom or other work hours.
Payout of Sick Time
Sick time is not payable on termination of employment or appointment.
Interaction with Other Types of Leave
If any time off covered under this policy is also covered under the University’s FMLA, Parental Leave or other leave of absence policies, sick time shall run concurrently with such leave. Faculty may choose to use, and the University may also require them to use, earned sick time to receive pay for absences under other leave policies if those absences would otherwise be unpaid.