- Prepares new generations of critical thinkers for effective and ethical national and international leadership. The mission of the Institute is accomplished through its intensive engagement of students in classes, global research, internships, workshops, simulations and international symposia — all involving national and international leaders from both the public and private sectors.
The Edward R. Murrow Center was established in 1965 in memory of the man whose distinguished reporting and analysis of world news and imaginative leadership of the United States Information Agency set a standard of excellence. Mr. Murrow’s library and papers (more than 2,000 documents) are housed in the Murrow Memorial Room at The Fletcher School and the Tufts University Archives. Fletcher also has stewardship of a collection of audio and video recordings which are representative of Murrow’s commitment to journalistic honesty, courage and integrity.
- Offers academic programs for college undergraduates, high school students, alumni and adult learners. Hosts a variety of international conferences, all of which aid in facilitating and promoting international understanding. The European Center is based on the University’s campus in Talloires, France.
- Improves humanitarian, relief and refugee efforts in times of famine, war and complex emergencies.
- Creates an academic environment for the promotion of greater understanding of the rich heritage of the Eastern Mediterranean, and of the significant challenges this region faces at the beginning of the 21st century.
- Promotes scholarly understanding of South Asian history, political economy, and foreign policy, as well as the civilization and economy of the Indian Ocean region.
- Integrates emerging science, engineering, and business concepts with more traditional subjects such as economics, international law and policy, negotiation, diplomacy, resource management and governance systems to provide an interdisciplinary approach to education at The Fletcher School.
For a full list of centers and institutes at Tufts University view the Tufts University Fact Book.